Permanent residency: Family sponsorship

Family In Canada

Permanent residents and citizens of Canada can sponsor their spouses or common-law partners for permanent residency. The spouse/partner must be at least 18 years old, be eligible to enter Canada and show documentation of a real relationship. A sponsor must also meet specific income requirements and sign a document assuming responsibility for the sponsored spouse or common-law partner.

For spousal or partner sponsorship applications, there are two options:

Application for Overseas Sponsorship — For spouses or partners who live outside of Canada.

Application for in-land sponsorship — For a spouse or partner who lives in Canada. When filing a sponsorship application, applicants in this category may also be able to apply for a work permit.

Parent & Grandparents sponsorship

For some immigrant families, family reunion is crucial. Citizens and permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their parents and grandparents for permanent residency in Canada. Every year, the IRCC invites citizens and permanent residents to register their support for their parents and grandparents. IRCC provides randomly chosen individuals to submit applications for sponsoring parents and grandparents once they submit an expression of interest. The sponsor must fulfil the required minimum income standards and sign a responsibility agreement for the sponsored parents or grandparents.

Dependent Child sponsorship

Dependent children of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can be sponsored for permanent residence in Canada. The dependent child must be under the age of 22 (unless they are mentally or physically reliant on their parents) and not married or in a common-law relationship. Sponsors must also meet minimum income requirements, sign a financial commitment, and be responsible for the sponsored child or children.