Express Entry is Canada’s method for managing economic immigration applications.
Candidates for Express Entry are given up to 1200 points in a scoring system designed to identify individuals with the best chance of succeeding in Canada. After receiving an “Invitation to Apply,” the top-ranked individuals in the Express Entry pool will have 60 days to complete an application for Permanent Residence in Canada.
Eligibility for Express Entry
To apply through Express Entry, you must meet the following criteria:
Eligible for one of the three economic immigration streams available in Canada:
Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled Trade programme is available for skilled tradespeople who desire to immigrate to Canada.
To be considered, applicants must have worked in a skilled trade for at least two years in the previous five years and meet specific language criteria. Candidates are evaluated using a point system. The Comprehensive Ranking System used to rank candidates in Express Entry is not the same as this point system. Candidates must first qualify for either the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, or Canadian Experience Class to construct a candidate profile and receive a score using the Comprehensive Ranking System. The Federal Skilled Worker Program points are a minimum neededto be eligible for Express Entry.
Federal Skilled Worker Program
The Federal Skilled Worker Program is for people with a high level of education and/or extensive job experience that can readily be transferred to the Canadian labour market.
To be considered for this category, applicants must meet specific requirements. Candidates are evaluated using a point system. The Comprehensive Ranking System used to rank candidates in Express Entry is not the same as this point system. Candidates must first qualify for either the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, or Canadian Experience Class to create a candidate profile and acquire a score using the Comprehensive Ranking System. The Federal Skilled Worker Program points are a minimum criterion to be qualified to participate in Express.
Federal Skilled Worker Program, applicants must score 67 points. Six factors are used to allocate points, as shown below:
- Education (maximum 25 points) – the highest level of education and total years of education
- Language Ability (maximum 24+4 points) – the ability of the applicant to speak, listen, write, and read in one or both of Canada’s official languages, French and English. Please note that proof of language proficiency is required if the applicant claims points under the language component. A 4 point is awarded for proficiency in a second official language.
- Work Experience (maximum 15 points) — number of years in high-skilled employment working full-time or equivalently paid.
- Age (maximum 12 points) – the applicant’s present age, with applicants between 21 and 49 receiving the most points.
- Arrangements for Work in Canada: Either the applicant has a permanent employment offer in Canada for which they are qualified, or the applicant is currently employed in Canada and has a valid work permit for at least a year.
- Adaptability (maximum 10 points) — If the applicant can demonstrate that they, their spouse or common-law partner, or their dependents will quickly adapt to life in Canada, they may be given points for this criterion. Education in Canada, pre-arranged work in Canada, and family members who are Canadian Permanent Residents or Citizens are just a few examples.
Canadian Experience Class
Foreign nationals who have worked in Canada for at least one year can apply for Permanent Residence based on their Canadian work experience under the Canadian Experience Class.
To be eligible, candidates must have completed at least one year of full-time skilled employment in Canada three years before applying, meet specific language criteria, and want to settle outside of Quebec. The Express Entry system, which uses a point system to rank candidates, is in charge of the programme. Candidates who achieve a high rating and meet the program’s requirements are invited to apply for permanent residency through the Express Entry procedure.
Please remember that qualifying for the Canadian Experience Class is just the beginning of the immigration process. Before submitting their application, applicants eligible for the Canadian Experience Class must create a candidate profile in Express Entry and receive an Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residence.
PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMS
Provinces and territories can use their Provincial Nominee Programs to recruit applicants from the Express Entry system to fill local labour market gaps. Workers who have the skills, education, and work experience to contribute to the economy of a given province or territory, wish to live in that province, and want to become permanent citizens of Canada, are eligible for this programme. Each province and territory have its own rules and “streams” (immigration schemes that target specific populations).This nomination certificate gets 600 points in the Express Entry System managed by the IRCC. Some popular categories in each province/ territory are:
Ontario:International student with job offer; International Ph.D. Graduate; International Masters Graduate; Skilled Trades; Human Capital Priorities; Entrepreneur & Foreign Worker.
British Columbia:Health Care Professional; International Graduate; International Postgraduate; Tech Pilot; Entrepreneur & Skilled Worker.
Alberta:Express Entry, Self-employed Farmer; Opportunities Stream
Manitoba:Skilled Worker; Semi-Skilled Agricultural Worker; Skilled Worker with job Offer; Students; Health Professions; Long–Haul Truck Drivers; Entrepreneur; Farm Owner/Operator.
Nova Scotia:Skilled Worker; Physician; Occupations in Demand; International Entrepreneur; International Graduate entrepreneur.
New Found land and Labrador:International Entrepreneur; International Graduate entrepreneur, International Graduate; Skilled Worker; Express Entry Skilled Worker.
Prince Edward Island:Skilled Worker; Critical Worker; International Graduate; Express Entry; Entrepreneur.
Yukon:Express Entry; Skilled Worker; Critical Impact Worker; Business Applicant.
Regional pilot program:Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program; Rural and Northern Regional Pilot Program.